Friday, December 21, 2012

Sugar Cone Trees

Last year my mom tried to do a ginger bread house with the girls.  It was from one of those kits where it comes with all the pieces you just have to frosting-glue them together and decorate.  I wish I had a picture of it because it was awful.  It looked like a candy-land natural disaster had struck--the pieces wouldn't stay together, the candy kept falling off, the roof caved in a couple times--it was pretty sad.  This year Jared thought we should try sugar cone trees (I think he saw the idea on pinterest).  It has been a rough couple of weeks for us.  Jared got sick the day we moved in.  Then my dad got it followed by me just in time for my sister's visit from Flagstaff.  Abigail came down with it shortly after our snowball fight and passed it on to Stella.  Finally Liv showed symptoms this morning and by afternoon it was clear that she had succumbed and we are just waiting for my mom to show symptoms.  Like I said, it's been a hard couple of weeks. 
On Thursday we faced the challenge of trying to keep two antsy little girls inside and resting when they think they feel good, have been stuck inside for two days already but really need more rest to recover. One of the things we did was to make these awesome sugar cone trees. 
 
It was actually a lot of fun. We started with a naked cone then Jared dyed some frosting green and covered them (I think we'll let the girls do that part when they get older but for their ages it was perfect). Then we gave them various little candies and other colors of frosting in cake decorating bags (ziploc bags with one of the corners cut off).
 
They had a great time, snuck lots of frosting and candy and have yet to eat them because they did not behave at nap time today.  I think they turned out awesome.  They'll probably taste like an awful, sugary mess but they'll love them (assuming they actually get to eat them tomorrow).

 
She's smiling because we just busted her squirting frosting directly into her mouth.  She's hard to bust when she smiles.


Love you all and I hope your Christmas is an amazing time of worship, family, friends and good health!


P.S.  They enjoyed the eating (and wearing) as much as the making.




No comments: