Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Creative Weekend

I have a tendency to get very excited about a project, then get very excited about another project, and another and I work on each of them as I feel in the mood. I do finish them (for the most part) but sometimes it takes years because I get distracted by the next project. I do the same thing with books. It's fairly common for me to be "currently" reading 3 or more books.
What usually happens (and this was no exception) is that I end up with so many projects that I run out of room to put them then I go on a mission to complete one or two. So a couple weekends ago I decided to finish one of the smaller sewing projects I'd gotten excited about. Being me, I then got very excited and started a new project almost immediately after finishing this one.
The project I finished is a gum drop pillow for Abs. The pattern is from Amy Butler http://www.amybutlerdesign.com/products/patterns_display.php?id=31 It was much easier to make than I expected and I was able to start and finish it in about a day--not including shopping for the perfect fabric. For the stuffing I went "green" by using some old pillows.

I made the pillow for Abs to sit at a toddler table or to sit and watch tv on. She does both of these but I'm glad I used some thicker material because she also loves to use it for jumping on (and off of), rolling around, bouncing (different than jumping), and flying over (as seen below).

The project I started almost immediately after finishing the gumdrop pillow is a set of quilted notecards. I got the idea from Denyse Schmidt in her book Denyse Schmidt Quilts. The cards take about 5-10 minutes each which is wonderful because I can start and finish one even with both girls awake. I went "green" again by using scraps of fabrics from other projects and a set of blank (on the inside) notecards that I already owned but never used because they had an ugly picture on the front.


3 comments:

Becky said...

Oooh! I'm excited to see the cards! I wanted to make them for my sister-in-law, but didn't have time, and wasn't sure how they would turn out! Thanks for finding out for me! :)

The pillow looks great! Can't wait to see it too!!! :)

Kristin said...

Adrieanna! Amazing! These look so good. I'm really impressed. And you always make it sound so easy too. I'm sure it is easy, making time for it is the hard part, right? While packing, I found that old material that I was going to use to make a quilt for Sam and I. Dreaming about starting that up again in, oh, 6 months or so... ;) The house project is taking up so much time right now.

Jenni said...

wow. like Kristin said, those are amazing! want to send me a card soon? ;) love you.